DIY Friday January 2015

So, I learned about masking fluid in an online class I’m taking, Fun With Mixed Media. The second I saw the instructor use it, the wheels started turning in my head, and I thought “I bet I could make my own!” So that’s just what I did, and I’d love to share the process with you today.

First, gather your supplies. You’ll need squeeze bottles, rubber cement, and acetone or nail polish remover. I got the first two items at Hobby Lobby and the acetone at Wal-mart. PLEASE NOTE: Both rubber cement and acetone emit fumes. If you mix the two, please do so in a well-ventilated area and be aware of the risks involved with using both.

Supplies

From what I can gather, there are masking fluid kits you can purchase, for not a small amount of money, which give you a variety of tip sizes so you can better control the amount and flow of the fluid. I thought it might work to alter my squeeze bottles for the same effect, so I started by marking each bottle tip:

Mark

Then trimming them along the marks. Now I have a fine tip, a medium, and a large tip.Cut

Next, I poured some rubber cement into each bottle. I was experimenting, and not quite sure how much I would need, so I started with a third of a bottle. Caution: Your hands WILL be sticky pouring this stuff, but it’s kind of fun to roll it off with your fingertips. 🙂

Rubber CementOne third

Next came the acetone. Again, I wasn’t sure how much I would need, so I thought to start out with equal parts – in other words, a third of a squeeze bottle’s worth.

Acetone Equal parts

At this point, I shook each bottle to mix the cement and the acetone, then tried it out on a piece of scrap paper. I found it was way too runny, so I filled each bottle the rest of the way with rubber cement.

Finish with more cement

Shaken, not stirred

After shaking to blend it all, I had a masking fluid-type substance to try! I chose a piece of pink tone-on-tone floral patterned paper.

Pattern

I used the masking fluid on a few of the flowers, just swiping the tip of the bottle across the flowers.Mask

Then let them dry.

Dry

I smudged my handy-dandy craft mat (actually an oven liner from the Kitchen Store that cost a whopping $3.99 on sale) with Worn Lipstick and Spiced Marmalade Distress Inks.

Distress Ink

Spritzed with water to activate the ink,

Water

Then dipped my lovely little piece of patterned paper in the colors. It didn’t quite come out as I wanted, so I dabbed both ink pads on top of the wet paper, then spritzed it with water again.

Alter

Allow it to dry, and voila!

Dry Distressing

All that’s left to do is peel off the dry masking fluid to reveal the paper underneath.PeelReveal

There you  have it! An inexpensive alternative to store-bought masking fluid. Two parts rubber cement, one part (or a little less) acetone.

And if you’d like to learn more about what you can do with masking fluid, be sure and check out the Fun With Mixed Media class. It really is a lot of fun, and Ronda Palazzari is an excellent instructor.

See you soon!

And for more homemade art supplies, check out DIY Friday Modeling Paste

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This blog is kept spam free by WP-SpamFree.

Post Navigation